A story inspired by the book of Hosea

Feb 2, 2015

Chapter 2c


   Sal sat at his desk with his feet up. “Look Bryan, I need sugar dots... hey, if you can’t supply them then I’ll find someone who will... I’m sorry you feel that way... fine!” He placed his feet down and hung up the phone. He hadn’t noticed Margaret in the doorway to his small office.

   “Anything I can do?”

   “No!” He realized the tone he used was harsh. “I’m sorry. I was just talking to Bryan and he wants to raise the rates again on sugar dots and to top it off the shipment will be late. Seriously! It’s sugar dots.”

   “Needn’t get yourself in a tizzy. There are plenty of other suppli- ers out there. Besides, sugar dots are overrated.”

   Sal chuckled at her attempted humor. “You’re probably right, but I’ve known Bryan for a long time. I’ll just call him in a minute and apologize.”

   “Do you want to talk about it?”

   “About sugar dots?”

   Margaret shook her head. “Your mood has nothing to do with Bryan or his sugar dots. We both know that.”

   He didn’t want to talk about what the core problem was with anyone. His life had been the subject of too many conversations. “Thanks for asking, but I’m good. I’ll probably go home early today.”

   “Oh.”

   “What do you mean by ‘oh’?”

   “You’re a good man, but we both know the Mrs. will be the death of ya.”

   Margaret had a knack of hitting the nail on the head. Sal wasn’t ready to admit defeat. “She’s just lost, Margaret.”
 

   “Have you considered that maybe she wants to stay that way?”

   He’s had this conversation before. There wasn’t a need to continue. “Don’t worry so much Margaret. I’m fine... I promise.”

   “Okay, if you say so. Do you want me to call Bryan and smooth things over? You know I think he’s taken a shine to me.” She raised her brow.

    Sal snickered, “I’m sure he has, but I better do it. I’ll go home after I’m done.” 

© Nadine Zawacki 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment